Moore, Henry T., President
Henry T. Moore, Skidmore’s second president, arrived in 1925 from the chairmanship of the Dartmouth College psychology department, ready to take on the challenge of developing the young college both academically and physically. His thirty-two-year presidency brought Skidmore College to a position of leadership in women’s education. Under his tenure, academic programs were developed and refined, and an excellent faculty recruited. A library, infirmary, residence halls, and dining halls were built, and further property acquisitions allowed for enrollment growth, as old homes became student dormitories, and carriage houses became classrooms, studios, and laboratories. Even more significant than his administrative and financial abilities was his influence on a generation of Skidmore students whom he inspired to intellectual and creative achieve-ment. The young college had grown to an enrollment of more than 1,100 by his retirement in 1957.